July 17, 2008

Question: Is your home a Catholic home?

In her entry "A Blueprint for Your Domestic Church", Catholic Mom blogger Denise Hunnell provides a checklist to answer the question "Is your home a Catholic home?" I've answered below:

Are morning and night prayers a daily occurrence in your home? Yes to both
Do you say grace before and thanks to God after meals? Before meals
Do you say a family Rosary every night? No, but I do say one each morning while driving to work
Do you carry a Rosary at all times? Yes
Do you wear a religious medal or a scapular? Up until a month ago, I wore a rosary bracelet. I need to get it repaired.
Do you read and discuss the Bible often? Sometimes. It goes in cycles.
Is your home dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus? No; we need to do this
Is there a crucifix hanging in a prominent place? One in each bedroom
Do you ask God’s help in the solution of family problems? Yes
Do you have a sick-call set for Communion or Anointing of the Sick? No
Do you attend church as a family? Sort of. Little One and I go every Sunday. Hubbie isn't Catholic, so we are still working on him
Do you go to Confession regularly? Yes
Do the children attend a Catholic school or Catholic religious instruction program? Not yet; she's only two
Do you have religious instruction at home? Yes
Are there Catholic periodicals in your home? No, but we have Catholic books
Do you have a crib at Christmas? Yes
Do you send out cards that indicate Christmas is the birth of Christ? Yes
Does Christmas mean the coming of Christ or a chance to get gifts? Coming of Christ
Does Easter Sunday mean the resurrection of Christ or new clothes? Resurrection of Christ
Do you ever invite lonesome or needy people into your home? No
Do you ever provide a basket of food to a needy family, not just at Thanksgiving and Christmas but during the rest of the year? Rarely

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Diana, just came back and read this post. We are so similar in our answers! I take my older son to church too and am trying to work on my husband, who was raised catholic, but is not practicing. It's good to ask ourselves these questions on a regular basis, and I think we're doing pretty well!
God Bless, and thanks for commenting on my post.

Diana said...

Hi Robyn. Yes, I think we are moving in the right direction. I'll keep working on my husband too, who was raised Baptist. God bless to you and your family!

Kate Wicker said...

Hi, Diana. I would have very similar answers as yours. My mom and dad always do such a great job of extending Christian hospitality to those who are lonely during the holidays. That's something I'd definitely like to work on...

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog an commenting on my mixed marriage series. Just a moment ago I was journaling and feeling sad about our disparity in terms of faith, but I just have to keep praying and being the best Catholic I can. Stay tuned for more in the series. It might be a week or so before I post the next tip about children because I'm taking a brief blogging break for various reasons.

At any rate, I'll be praying for you and your husband. God bless you!

Diana said...

Kate, thanks for stopping, and thanks for the prayers. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

Just a thought as part of your mixed marriage series: since you've gotten such a wonderful response, maybe we could all join in prayers for all of our husbands - or a novena.

God bless!