October 7, 2008

St. Francis, the animals, and praying for peace

St. Francis of Assisi's feast day was October 4 - this past Saturday. We have three cats, who, like most cats, don't travel well, making a trip to church for the annual blessing of the animals a bit too much to handle. Maybe other families bring their cats, but I think it wiser to leave ours at home. Instead, we say an extra prayer for them on this day.

If you don't know, St. Francis is the patron saint of animals and ecology. But he also encourages us to be instruments of peace, to truly seek peaceful solutions. My plan was to go line by line and analyze his Prayer for Peace (see below), but I haven't quite made it. To summarize, if we didn't hate, didn't hold grudges, and offered others forgiveness, hope, love and understanding even before seeking these for ourselves, how much better would the world be?

St Francis' Prayer for Peace:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.
O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

2 comments:

Fruitful Harvest said...

Hi~ Fellow Catholic,
I invite you to come check out my blog. I have a Catholic video you can watch and then embed If you want. Please read my other post related to the up coming election.
I ask you to join me in a HOLY FAST AND PRAYER~ come check me out
The Garden Gate on the Catholic Blog roll.

Peace in Christ,
Georgiann

Diana said...

Hi Georgiann,
Thanks for stopping by. We are definitely praying for the upcoming election, but fasting would add another dimension. Thanks for the idea!
Diana